To everyone in our amazing Empire College community:
Over the weekend, we attempted to call every student to ensure that they were safe and to ask about when they could return to school. The overwhelming response from the students we talked to was that they wanted to be back in their classes. Based on this response, we plan to open tomorrow, Tuesday, October 17 for classes starting at 8 am. We realize it will not be business as usual, but it will be the first important step.
At our faculty meeting this morning, we outlined a plan based on what we know now. Here is what we have noted going forward for Business School students:
- The current module will be extended by one week. This means that this week will be week 5 and finals week will start on Monday, October 23. The next module start will shift to Monday, October 30.
- Every attempt will be made to help students complete their classes this module.
- Schedules for the (now) October 30 mod start will be released on Wednesday, October 25.
For Business and Law students:
- The building is not damaged, however, be aware that there will be no heat until the gas is restored, hopefully Wednesday. Please dress appropriately. Medical students are not required to wear scrubs this week.
- Unfortunately, there is residual smoke in the building. This is being actively addressed, but if you have a health issue, please take precautions or let us know if you cannot attend as a result.
- Some students may have lost (or are not able to access) school supplies, textbooks, or scrubs. If you have any of these that you can share, please let us know.
- For individual questions or concerns, feel free to contact us at (707) 546-4000 or email email@example.com (Business School) or firstname.lastname@example.org (Law School).
For students who have been affected, there is a Local Assistance Center (LAC) set up at 427 Mendocino Avenue (the first floor of the Press Democrat building downtown Santa Rosa). There are many resources available there.