Sue for a "Stop Payment" Check

Sue for a "Stop Payment" Check

If someone stops payment on a check without a good faith dispute, you can sue for the amount of the check plus 3 times the amount of the check, with a minimum of $100 and a maximum of $1,500.

How do I sue?

* Send a demand letter to the person who wrote the check by certified mail with return receipt requested.

* Click here to see a sample "Stop Payment" demand letter. Click here for help writing a "Stop Payment" demand letter.

* Then wait 30 days. If you aren't paid in 30 days, file a claim in small claims court.

What should I bring to my hearing?

Bring a copy of the letter you sent and proof from the post office that the letter was sent by certified mail.