Computer Support Specialist
Objective: This computer support specialist training program combines classroom instruction, lab and real work experience to prepare you for a career in computers.
Our computer support training in California offers training in hardware support and services including basic electronic theory, terminology and computer system assembly complete with software installation, troubleshooting, techniques and solutions. There is an introduction to LAN cabling and design, installation, and maintenance. This program also provides students with basic networking skills, which includes Microsoft Windows Clients operating systems and servers.
In keeping with the philosophy of Empire College, courses are included in management communications and career transitions, designed with the Computer Support Specialist in mind. The emphasis in this program is placed on marketable skills (employability).
Empire College is a Microsoft Developers Network Academic Alliance (MSDN AA) member and uses a teaching program prescribed by Microsoft to prepare graduates for computer support certification as Microsoft Certified Professionals (MCPs) at the product level.
Upon completion of the program, you can be ready to assume positions as computer consultants or computer technicians.
Earn your computer support specialist certification in the following areas:
- CompTIA A+ Technician
- CompTIA Network+
- Microsoft certification at the product level (MCP-Microsoft Certified Professional) in Windows 7 Professional and Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012.
Certifications are not required to be employed as a computer support specialist in California or to graduate from the program, but they are highly recommended. Exams may be taken at the on-campus VUE Testing Center. Exam fees vary, ranging from $60 to $225.
Note: All units in this program are transferable to the Specialized Associate Degree in Information Technology program.
Expected Educational Outcomes: Upon completing the Computer Support Specialist program, students will have demonstrated competency in the following areas:
- The ability to diagnose and repair microcomputers (IBM compatibles) using standard diagnostic techniques
- Installation and configuration of internal and external computer components
- Installation and configuration of application software
- The ability to provide customer and user support for computer systems and networking products, including Microsoft Windows and numerous software products
- The ability to interact with users/customers in a professional, businesslike manner
Program Length: 3 quarters
A diploma will be awarded upon successful completion of all graduation requirements. Click here to view a course outline for the Computer Support Specialist program.
If you’re ready to become a computer support specialist in Northern California, contact us today.
"Before I started my program at Empire, I was a basic user. Being able to apply the hands-on skills in an internship as I approached graduation and the job market was very beneficial."
- Matthew Clark, Help Desk Technician